Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wipeout

The things I do to myself.

Short story... shorter: I walked to my folks' yesterday for a swim and brought Logan along to visit in the back yard. On the way back, we were crossing a small street. Now, I've been teaching Logan to cross streets quickly because I'm an overprotective "puppy parent", and this time he decided to bolt. I was hanging on tight to his leash, and, as I ran with him, tripped over a curb and landed chin-first on the end of someone's driveway, splitting my chin open and cutting up my right knee and a few fingers on my left hand in the process. Funny part is, I feel like I subconsciously let it happen that way - after all, Logan didn't get away from me and my drawing hand was unscathed.

I got up, dusted myself off, walked the rest of the way home (stopping to chat and joke about it with a few neighbours while bleeding out of my chin), brought Logan in and gave him a dental bone, and called my mom for a ride to the hospital to get stitched up - I would have driven myself, but I had to hold gauze up to my chin to avoid bleeding all over the place. I spent most of the car ride and the wait at the hospital just laughing about it - I honestly hope someone saw my little faceplant, because it must have been hilarious.

It wasn't that bad, all said. According to the doctor, it was only a gash about an inch long and half an inch wide, but compared to the two other times I split my chin open (when I was a kid), it was pretty minor. I was only in the ER for an hour and a half, and everyone there was super nice and helpful - some people can complain about socialized medical care all they want, but I got good, quick care and didn't leave with a bill, so I've never been happier with the system. After I got stitched up and got a tetanus booster, I thanked the doctor and nurses profusely and left smiling. Not a bad experience.

For the hell of it, here are a few pictures. Click to embiggen!



If you look closely, you can make out my previous chin scars. Let's just call this one "completing the hat trick".

2 comments:

  1. ouch... wipeout indeed...
    that isn't a minor split...

    tv via internet

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that bad, really. My childhood ones were probably twice as long.

    ReplyDelete