Monday, August 22, 2011

RIP Jack


Jack Layton died today at the age of 61. I found out shortly after arriving at work this morning, and hearing the news was like a punch in the stomach.

I'm still reeling from it, to be honest. Jack was a true inspiration. He was a source of kindness and optimism, a hard-working, dedicated leader, and a man you couldn't help but like. We were lucky to have him, and he'll be greatly missed.

My condolences to Jack's family and loved ones. It may sound strange to say about a man I've never met, but it really feels like we've all lost a friend today.


Update: Jack Layton prepared a letter to be released in the event of his passing, which has been posted online. It's very moving, but I felt like sharing his final comments in particular:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

I can't think of a better final message to leave the world. Beautiful. Thank you, Jack.

1 comment: