Thursday, September 8, 2011

Where We Make The Comics

Sorry about the lack of updates over the past week. I've been dealing with some stuff. And some things. That's all I feel like saying about that.

To make up for it, here's something a bit different. As you may know, I draw a webcomic. In fact, I just counted and I've done 62 individual comics as of today. It's a whole thing! I've been fortunate enough to have a second bedroom in my apartment that I've made into a "home studio", and I figured I'd give a little photo tour of where I get things done. Click pictures to embiggen!


First up, my bookshelf. It's 66.6% filled with graphic novels, but there are some novels and other books in the mix too.


On the left is a really awesome head sketch of Impulse (my second-favourite comic character of all time) by the very talented Jason Ho. He was offering sketches to early donators in an effort to support the Help the Cheerleader campaign, and I was lucky enough to get one. Please check out the link and donate if you can - what happened is a truly horrific injustice, and every bit helps.

Up top, I've got some toys on display. The Mirage TMNT toys are some of the coolest things ever made out of plastic:



Here are a few shots of my drawing table setup. I've had it since 2006, when I lived off Bank Street in Ottawa. Still the best money I ever spent.



In the last one, you can see the inked version of the latest WTH comic - this shows how I "cheated" by not drawing the full background in each panel. I feel kind of guilty about that, but it's what I had to do to get it done on time.


Here's my computer setup, now spread across two desks to accommodate all the extras like my printer, backup drives and knickknacks (not pictured is my scanner on a separate stand to the left).




And finally, a few shots of the little doorway nook I use to store my music collection (yep, I'm the guy who still buys CDs) and honour 1/4 of my heritage -- 1/2 if Wales counts -- with a big ol' British flag:


And up top, Spike. Because Spike is great.


(Nevermind the Coldplay - I honestly haven't listened to that in years, I just never get rid of CDs.)

That's all for now. In the next day or so I think I'll share all the sketches and signed prints from some of my favourite comic creators that I have on the walls. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment